In Reading or Listening sections it is quite easy to predict what will be your IELTS score. You do some tests at home, count how many questions you answered correctly, do the math – for example 34 out of 40 equals Band 7.5.
But how do you measure yourself when it comes to Speaking – that’s the question!
And here comes answer: using the same criteria your examiner is going to use.
I was looking for those and found them in to IELTS official site (of all places )
So basically this is what they say:
You belong to Band 5 if you
You belong to Band 6 if you
You belong to Band 7 if you
I gave you here description of Band 5,6 and 7 because these are the IELTS bands most people want to know about, but you can see the full description of all bandshere.
تمامی حقوق مادی و معنوی این اثر متعلق به وب سایت آموزش خصوصی زبان انگلیسی بابک عبادی است و در صورت استفاده از آن نام آموزش خصوصی بابک عبادی و ذکر لینک www.english-ebadi.com را فراموش نکنید.
- Can use simple sentences easily, but complex are difficult for you and it shows (you stop, get confused or start to repeat yourself)
- Can not say the same thing in a different way (rephrase) or use a synonym for a word
- Use grammatically correct simple sentences most of the time. It is rare that you use more complex sentences and when you do – you make grammatical errors or it is difficult to understand what you’re saying
- Can speak for some time keeping the right speed (like your first language), with little difficulties when you repeat words, correct yourself or get lost in words and stop making sense.
- Use some connective words, even if it is not always appropriate
- Can discuss topics (familiar or not) for a long time, using wide vocabulary and making yourself clear.
- Successfully rephrase and use synonyms
- Mix simple and complex sentences when you speak, but the in complex ones you mistake a lot. Mistakes are mostly grammatical and examiner can still understand you.
- Have no problem speaking for some time keeping the right speed (like your first language), your speech is smooth and easy to understand, it is rare that you pause and look for a word to say, repeat or correct yourself.
- Can discuss any topic using a lot of smart words, use English expressions correctly.
- Use complex sentences without a lot of grammatical errors. There are much more correct sentences in your speech than incorrect.